Building Aero 3D Day 31: Sheeting Wing Begins

Bottom Leading Sheets Done

Wednesday we started the process of sheeting the wing. Prior to actually sheeting we went over the whole wing doing some sanding, removing any excess glue gobs, rough edges, etc. making sure everything was finished as best we could. This is to make sure the sheeting sits down properly and eliminate as many covering issues/bumps as we can.

Once that was done we trial fitted how we wanted the first set of balsa sheets (W-SH-1, 3/32 “, 4″x62”) to fit. Based on the diagram (Wing Step 3) the butt joint isn’t in the center, so we used a full sheet for the first part and then will trim the excess (seen in the bottom & top images) from the second sheet.

The steps then went as follows:

Continue reading

Building Aero 3D Day 30: Ailerons Glued

Aileron Frames Glued

Sunday we focused on getting the ailerons glued together. This aircraft has some very nice sized ailerons. 🙂

We needed to figure out how to determine the size of the 1/4” x 1/4” balsa stringers we’d need, and which piece to start with. Ended up temporarily putting in place the WT1 (1/8” Ply) wing end tip piece to measure the length from the trailing edge of the wing to the trailing end of WT1. This gave us the length of the outer edge balsa stringer of the aileron (smaller piece).

Continue reading

Building Aero 3D Day 29: Wing Bolt Plate & Ailerons Started

Wing Hold Down Glued FUE

Saturday, Feb. 22nd, I cut out the pieces for the aileron. Peter & I then did some looking at the airframe and figuring out what went where… as even though the pieces are labeled you do not actually have any labels in the pictures provided and need to figure out how things go together based on shape alone. We used the top down diagram with the overall measurements.

The leading and trailing edge of both ailerons came in two pieces which we needed to join together using a pre cut scarf joint. They were not cut very precisely and thus we needed to use filler to create a snug fit. We also used my big ruler to ensure while we were pinning things in place the edges were perfectly straight. We used slow epoxy for this job.

You can see how we left things to dry in the image below.

Continue reading

Building Aero 3D Day 27: Firewall

Monday, Peter & John came over and we shifted focus to the fuselage, specifically getting the firewall situated. I obtained a user Saito FA-100 for my engine and it came with a metal mount.

Based on the diagrams provided the engine needs to be side mounted with the muffler down, this means the head of the engine is going to protude out past the left side (looking at the pictures below). I haven’t decided if I’m going to build the cowel or not out of balsa block. As nice as that’d potentially look it may cause more grief than not for making engine adjustments and getting in flying time at the field.

I had previously marked the center of the firewall and the lines have since been extended to the ends (seen in the right pic below). John did a fair bit of figuring for how best to mount the engine.

Continue reading

Building Aero 3D Day 25: Shear Webs Glued

Shear Webs Glued

On February 15th Peter came over and we furthered our progress on the wing. Prior to getting to work we needed to study the ‘instructions’ and looking closely at the diagram, Step 3 of the wing section, I could determine there were shear webs (WJ in the diagram) front and back of the main spar. Since there were indeed 16 WJ pieces this made sense to us.

I proceded by cutting them out of the provided sectioned balsa sheets. I then marked the center on each web as well as the center between each rib on the main spar so we could use these markings to center the webs when gluing.

Continue reading

Building Aero 3D Day 24: Leading Edge Glued

Trimmed End Closeup

Yesterday I did a little work on the wing myself. I trimmed off the excess of the remaining spar we glued in the previous session and then did some intial sanding of all the spar ends. The one end can be seen in the picture above.

Today Peter and I glued the leading edge onto the front end of the ribs. Since the leading edge didn’t seem to be properly provided within the kit Peter kindly made it in his shop for me out of 1/4” x 17/8” balsa. This needed a joint in it as well due to the length, a bit oversided on each end as well. Peter scored in the center line, to be used to center it on the leading edge vertically.

Continue reading

Building Aero 3D Day 23: Bottom Spar Glued

Spars Cut and Bottom Spar Glued

Yesterday we started by sawing off the main excess for the three spars glued into place during the last session. We then flipped the wing over.

From here I we used medium CA to glue the 1/4” x 3/8” hardwood cut to 11/2” length pieces into the bottom slot of each set of W2 ribs to complete the mounting location for the aileron servos within the wing. You can see the idea in the picture of one of them below:

Continue reading

Building Aero 3D Day 22: Top Spars Glued

Main Spar & Spar Glued Weighted to dry

On January 29th we started with getting in the two W-HW-1, 1/4” x 3/8” hardwood cut to 11/2” length in place that slide through the rectangular openings in the W2 ribs. These are the two ribs that sit close together, one on each end of the wing, where the servos will eventually go. These were glued into place using medium CA, placing glue along the outside and inside where the hardwood and rib meet.

Continue reading