While on holidays I started scanning in a bunch of pictures for a family project and since this was being done in batches each batch of scanned images would be named childhoodXXXXX.jpg where XXXXX is the number of the current image in sequence. This would be the same for each batch. Since wanted a means of knowing which images were part of which batch (and thus the corresponding package they came from) I wrote a little script to rename files in a folder with the following requirements:
Prepend batch number to beginning of file name
Prepend to files that did not currently start with a digit (since we know all names start with childhood)
Script is being run from the directory containing the files
I didn’t include a recursive folder structure so all files are in the same directory
I updated my script to write the results to a database to allow for easier manipulation of the data through queries, instead of having to traverse a file, linearly. The database design is very simple, consisting of only two tables, and can be easily expanded to contain more information about the device. The bold fields in the tables are required fields. There is a 1-to-many relationship between the device and the ping results, since each result can only be for one device, but each device can have many results.
The full script can be seen at the bottom of the post. The script starts a job running the ping script block 4 times, sleeping for 14 seconds in between. It is not an exact science here, but the idea is that the script can be scheduled using Windows Task Scheduler to run every minute and will ping all the machine on first starting and about every 15 seconds to make 4 times in a minute.
The script block creates a new SQL Client Connection object and opens a connection to the database, using the following code: