Building Seamaster Day 13: Fuselage Nose & Wing

Supports and funky nose

On March 24th there was some good and some bad.  One of the bad’s can be seen above in that in shaping the nose it took on a ‘funky’ warping causing the one side to bow in.  You’ll see this better in a front on shot later.  Added some supports to the nose as well to help it keep its form.  The other bad, which has since been corrected, is that the joints for the top and bottom main spars didn’t glue down in place.  Suspect this is due to the waits shifting and not keeping things in place as they should have been.  This is obviously not good and thus Peter had to break the joints and glue them again in order to get the spars down into the slots in the rib.  This is needed for support and overall functionality.

Spar Glue Fail
Spar Glue Fail

Below you can see where I glued down some balsa blocks onto the bottom of the trailing edge sheet.  This is to provide some support, holding power, for the back of the hinges that will be holding the ailerons (and allowing for movement) to the trailing edge of the wing.

Glued Aileron Hinge Supports In Place
Glued Aileron Hinge Supports In Place

Building Seamaster Day 12: Fuse top & Wing Sheeting

Tail Top Glued

On March 21st I made some more progress on both the wing and the fuselage.

On the fuselage I got the top of the fuselage glued in place.  The wholes, that came pre-cut, are to trim weight from the overall aircraft.

In the photo below you can see where I glued the sheeting for the bottom centre of the wing into place.  It is flush with the trailing edge and spars.

Sheeting Bottom Centre of Wing
Sheeting Bottom Centre of Wing

Building Seamaster Day 11: Wing & Fuse Bottom

Gluing balsa pieces to make up the bottom of the fuselage tail end

On March 17th I got the main spar of one of the wing panels glued in place (seen below) and also got the sheeting glued to the bottom of the tail.  Used hardwood strips to provide a surface to hold the sheeting in place with clamps along the bottom edges of the side while the glue dries (seen in the top photo).  Used a round container, elastic’d in place, to mould the sheeting up under the front bottom plate (as there is a curve in the tail at this point).  Also clamped into place the plate for the tail wheel at the very back.

Gluing Main Spar
Gluing Main Spar

Building Seamaster Day 10: Fuse Nose + Wing Panel

Main Spar & Trailing Edge Glued

Well, do to life’s circumstances I have gotten very far behind on my blog posts for this project.  I’ve gotten married, bought a house, done a lot of painting and packing, moved into said house and have done a lot of unpacking and organising.  This meant that over the course of the Winter and Spring I haven’t been working on my aircraft as much as I would have normally and also started work on the aircraft a lot later than normal too.  So lets start by getting caught up on posts, even if due to the time lag they are not as high quality as they should be…

On March 14th I worked on the fuselage and the wing.  Seen in the picture above I glued the main spar for one of the wing panels in place and used a piece of wood I waited down on the trailing edges of the ribs to help ensure the ribs stayed at the correct angle while the glue dried.  I made sure there was excess wood on each side of the spar, which we can trim off at a later date, to make it easier to fit and adjust later.

Seen below we braced the front former’s in place and steamed the wood to do our best to get the wood to curve to the nose.

Unfortunately, since I know how all this goes, the fuse didn’t turn out as well as I would have liked; however, I’ve been informed it should still be flyable.  Stay tuned to find out what exactly I mean!

Steaming the front of the fuse to work in the curve to the nose
Steaming the front of the fuse to work in the curve to the nose