Woot, woot! Wednesday this past week I got to start another build. This time around I am building a Seamaster. This build has taken some time to get started with all the major life changes that happened over this winter and some hiccups in the creation of the kit itself. This kit is no longer manufactured so someone Peter knows out of Winnipeg cut the kit for me, so a big thank-you to him! I got to see the pieces for the first time Wednesday.
Peter put together a manual for constructing the kit, which I am reading through to get a general understanding of the overall process and also in being a guinea pig on the thoroughness / ease of use of the manual. 😉
This will be my first seaplane and I’m excited to experiencing taking off / landing and flying over water. I’m getting ahead of myself though as I need to build the aircraft first! To start I read through the introduction of the manual Peter wrote up along with the first bit on the fuselage. I then laid out the plans on the table, covered it, and pinned it all in place. I found the 6 pieces making up each side of the fuselage and laid them out.
You can see the front portion laid out in the image at the top of the post and the back portion of the fuselage sides in the image at the bottom of the post. Due to the kits being laser cut the first step is always to do lots of sanding! Which is what I did most of this day, was sanding all the edges to get rid of the ‘laser burns’ and give a better edge for the glue hold and allow the pieces to stick together (as shown in the top 3 pieces).
That sums up the first day of this build and am looking forward to Day 2! I hope others will be interested to follow along on yet another build by yours truly 🙂
Time got away from me and I never blogged during the summer about my flying. It was a very busy summer. I got out flying ass much as I could and loved it as usual! Missed some flying time during the summer as my girlfriend (at the time) and I went to Ottawa for a visit to take in the sites and got engaged (technically while in Gatineau)! P.S. what a beautiful city!
Basically my time went from learning the basics of taking off and landing with a taildragger, going through the same basic circuits as I did when learning to fly with my 4 Star 60, to advancing to doing loops and rolls in various combinations.
One thing to remember, which I’ve been keeping in the back of my mind for the upcoming season is to use my rudder a lot more. This includes for aligning the aircraft on takeoffs and landings as well as when making turns using the rudder to prevent the tail from ‘sagging’.
I had some mishaps, most just coming in a little to hot and hitting the tall grass along the edge of the runway. Need to ensure I am flaring my landings to aid in slowing the aircraft down. My worst mishap was when I ran out of fuel in the air and couldn’t make the runway, thus crashing into the tall grass/weeds down the hill on the North side of the runway. The worst part of the damage was breaking the leading edge of one wing which needed to be repaired and recovered before flying again.
I am looking forward to getting out flying again once this nasty cold weather is behind us. I will start with my Sig Kadet LT40 to get back into the groove of things before bringing out my 4 Star 60 again. In the meantime I have finally been able to start another build, a float plane this time, so more to come on that. Been a crazy winter with getting married in December and getting settled into my (uh-um, our) new normal as I am very much a creature of habit, lol.