I had another hiatus from building and finally got back to it again on Sept. 28th which debuted covering of the aircraft! That’s right I have finally got to the point where I can start covering. I am planning on following a similar color scheme as my previous aircraft.
This session saw the start of covering the wing, specifically the trailing edge in green, seen above. This involved measuring and cutting a few pieces of covering and ironing it on to the trailing edge with some excess to fold over each edge. In the middle where the metal wire is for the aileron controls required some extra ‘fiddling’ to get the covering to fit right as needed to make a hole in the covering, slide the wire through and then figure out where the other hole needed to be made. Then once done slip the wire through holes made in the covering and iron it to the wing.
On each end of the wing where the covering is folded over additional cuts were required to get a better look.
On Aug 5th I did a fair bit of sanding touch ups on the wing, ailerons and fuselage. This included sanding paste where balsa blocks meet the fuselage, seen above. As well as some careful sanding of the paste on the trailing edge sheet and ailerons, seen below:
Yes, I know these last few posts have not been all that detailed; however, due to circumstances I am months behind on posts and am taking today to catch up so I at least have some sort of track record of when I did what. 🙂
On May 27th I saw some of the work Peter had done on the aircraft and put in some of my own work. Peter had the keel glued to bottom of fuselage, seen above as well as the balsa blocks for the engine mount in place and formed with paste applied to fill the gaps. I just had to do some more sanding of the touch up paste applied to give a smoother transition.
I worked on making a template for where the servo cables for controlling the ailerons are going to come out of the wing, join and then connect within the fuselage.
On May 5th I glued the fin to the tail of the fuselage. I used some triangle stock to run along each side of the fin. This is glued to both the fin and fuselage to provide added support to the fin. Made sure the triangle stock was a bit longer on each end to give me some to work with later for the tapering, etc.
Everything was then clamped and mostly pinned into place while the glue dried.
On May 4th I worked on the wing and tail of the aircraft.
Seen above I worked on sanding the leading edge, specifically the wing tip corners to get the desired taper.
The fin of the aircraft is composed of two pieces, front and back. I started by sanding off the ‘burnt’ finish from the laser cutting and then glued the two pieces together, pinned them to the board and placed weights on top to hold everything in place while the glue dried. This is seen below, the wax paper is to ensure nothing gets stuck to any glue that oozes out that shouldn’t.
On May 2nd we did a fitting of the wing into the fuselage and figured out where the wing hold down bolt holes needed to be drilled. My first drill was a little off, which is why we do some test drills with a tiny bit to see where it lines up with the wing bolt down blocks glued into the fuselage.
Once happy with the angle and how everything will fit I drilled the hole with using a bigger bit right into the wing hold down blocks. The final result can be seen in the picture above with the bolts started in the corresponding wholes to ensure they line up and will work.
On April 20th finished off the floats and worked on sculpting the nose of the aircraft. In the case of the floats seen above I sanded the edges of the top sheeting I glued on previously. I sanded the edges of the sheeting to be flush with the sides of the float.
To continue with the theme of sanding I did a lot of sanding on the block of wood I previously glued to the nose of the aircraft. I marked some reference points on the wood, grabbed some sand paper and went at it for the evening getting my dose of cellulose that evening working. The goal was to follow the lines of the fuselage and sculpt the nose accordingly with an added dip near the end of the top of the nose, seen below, as well as a gradual incline up from the bottom of the nose seen in the picture at the bottom of this post. You can also tell there was more sanding done on the sides of the nose piece as well to give the final look seen in the pics below.
On April 19th I completed the ‘wood’ version of the floats (still needs to be fiber glassed, etc.) and worked on the nose of the fuselage. In order to do the floats I measured out a bunch of light balsa to glue to the top side of the float sides to make up the top of the floats. These were glued along the top edge as well as the front and back edges of top pieces where it made sense.
I also started sculpting the balsa block which will make the nose of the aircraft.