Building Seamaster Day 8: Fuse Bottom Edge & Wing Panel

Sanded Excess Bottom Edge

Made it to Peters March 5th to work on the fuselage a bit and really get the R wing panel moving along.  You can see the image above that I sanded, using an electric sander, off the overhang of the fuselage bottom I previously installed to ensure a smooth finish with the fuselage sides.

Next I moved to building the wing.  This involved ensuring the ribs fit (making sure I was using inner and outer ribs in the respective locations) before applying glue.  Once I had the ribs glued in place I glued the main and rear spar in place across the top of the ribs and then weighted everything down as shown below:

Wing Ribs Fitted & Glued
Wing Ribs Fitted & Glued

Unfortunately, the above weighted situation wasn’t working for us as it was to unsteady causing the spars to shift throwing off the ribs (angling them) due to the weight.  Thankfully we noticed this before leaving the project for the evening when we checked over things a bit later and were able to readjust as the glue hadn’t set yet.  We added support (i.e. the triangles and wood block) to prevent the spars from shifting left and right as well as to prevent the wood from sliding off the trailing edge of the ribs, seen below:

Main & Rear Spar Glued in place
Main & Rear Spar Glued in place

That wrapped up another building session and leads us to the day we made an unfortunate discovery, but good we did at this phase of the project…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *