Building Aero 3D Day 49: Aileron Hinge Supports & Awkward WF Contemplation

Hinge Supports Glued onto Ailerons

Yesterday, I cut eight pieces out of 1/4“x1/4” balsa stringers to a length of 11/4“. I then marked the center of them and glued them to the inside leading edge of the ailerons, using wood glue, and clamped them in place. The purpose of this is to provide more support/substance for the hinges. I used weights to ensure the ailerons stayed flat on the surface and clamps to keep the balsa pieces tight while the glue dried. You can see the result in the image above.

Next, I attempted to make the assembly for the bottom back of the wing… I’ll call it the WC assembly. Everything I tried to keep things in place just wouldn’t work, from doing it on the workbench to overtop of a piece of wax paper on the wing itself. I even sanded the angle into the WC edge a bit to see if that would help but due to the awkward way the WC angles below the WDs & WEs when the pieces are flush and needing to be to be to the ‘bottom’, which is what I’m calling the longer side, when upside down I just can’t get everything to come together. I think an attempt at using CA is in order… it is so fast acting you basically get one shot before it sets at getting the piece in place properly.

That is where I’m at. The other thing I can do is sand the front WF assembly so that the WGs are flush with the top of WF as then I can put the balsa sheet (W-SH-7) over top.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *