Tag Archives: Canopy

Building 4 Star 60 Day 45: Canopy Installed, Servo Test & Landing Gear

Canopy Installed

After yesterdays session you can really get a sense of what my aircraft will look like (without the wing anyways).  I started my day with covering the hatch cover.  I wanted to break up all the white on the fuselage and since Peter and I had the same idea for what color should be used I went with green.  Before covering I had to make sure that there was clearing for  the throttle linkage which involved sanding down the one side.  Once that was done I covered the surface and folded over the edges like I have done previously.  This also means that for the front it involved doing a bunch of small cuts to get the covering folded over the curved edge decently.

John came over to check things out and while he was there we bound my transmitter to the receiver.  I haven’t installed that yet as John’s going to bring over some velcro for that task; however I know where it is going to go and already hot glued some tubing to the side of the fuselage to run the longer wire at a 90 degree angle to the other for reception.   I set up a new model in my transmitter (named it 4Star60) and the various leads were hooked into the correct places on the receiver.  We were not able to get the desired effect for the throttle after doing endpoint adjustments on the throttle control arm and in the transmitter itself so will have to look at that again.  We were able to adjust the servos (mechanical adjustments) and the linkage near the control horn to get us satisfied with the movement of the rudder and elevator for this first crack at it.  John had to go and then Peter and I hooked up the wing to test the ailerons.  I had to reverse RAL so that when pushing the joystick left the plane would bank left (as was reversed originally).

Continue reading

Building 4 Star 60 Day 44: Canopy Cut & Pilot Installed

Pilot Minion Installed

Tuesday was on the shorter side (1.5hrs) but accomplished the two goals that were set out for the evening, cutting the canopy and securing the pilot in place.

The first task was to cut the canopy.  This may sound like a simple task, but the thing to remember is that I only have one and if I screw up we have to order a new one.  That said I took my time.  It initially was curved such that it was flat with the ground all the way across and had an edge/lip all the way around.  This would make it easier from a manufactures perspective as they just put it on the mold and walla!  Every plane is a little different in how the top deck curves, etc. so this allows you to cut it to your aircraft.   Peter mentioned some come with the canopy cut to size, but guessing there is more precision in the top deck and where it needs to sit?

I had John’s canopy to use as a guide to get me started, but even then if I’d of cut it exactly like his it wouldn’t have fit my aircraft.  First I lined up the front ‘band’ you can sorta see in the pic with John’s and marked where the back of his canopy was with a pen that I could clean off.  I then cut out the enclosed part of the back and worked my way towards the pen mark taking out chunks, or as John likes to say hack-choo.  There was a process finding the right tool to cut the molded plastic as Peter had no suggestions and I don’t know what others use (please comment and let us know!).  What I ended up finding worked best for me were metal cutters with the straight blades, not the funkily curved ones (sorry I’m no Tim the Tool Man Taylor 🙂 ).

Continue reading