Tag Archives: Bottom

Building Seamaster Day 33 & 34: Covering Wing Bottom

Bottom Right Wing Panel Covered

On Oct. 27th I continued work on the wing and it took me 2 hrs to get the covering of one panel done, seen below and I completed the other half on the 28th seen in the image above.

Bottom Left Wing Panel Covered
Bottom Left Wing Panel Covered

The first steps are to get the piece of covering sealed all around the edges.  This includes rolled around the leading edge a bit to prevent wind from getting underneath and pulling it back along with tacking it along the trailing edge and to the center sheeting.  This wing provides an additional challenge due to the wing tip design.

When cutting I need to ensure I had a good additional 5 inches past the outer edge to both hold as well as to fold over the wing tip.  After tacking the covering to the outer rib it was pulled around the edge of the wing tip and cuts were made to allow the covering to fold around the edge with the least amount of wrinkling and ironed to the edge.  The folded pieces were ironed to the other side of the wing tip, seen below, to provide additional strength for the covering in hopes it will not peel off in the wind!

Folding over wing tip for support
Folding over wing tip for support

Once that was done it was time for the heat gun.  Started by shrinking some of the covering in the open space of the wing tip (between outer rib and the ‘fold over’.  I then worked my way around the main wing panel ensuring the heat gun is always pointed toward the center of the wing panel as I work my way around.  This is because you do not want to hit the holding edges with direct heat causing the covering to let go as then you’ll have problems and need to start over.

Essentially at this point I keep working my way around and around, ensuring I do not stay in any one place to long at the risk of burning a hole through the covering.  I keep checking from various angles so I can see where there are ripples/slack in the covering that still needs to be shrunk with the heat gun.  This process was repeated on Nov. 4th to do the bottom wing panel on the other side.

Using heat gun to shrink covering over wing.
Using heat gun to shrink covering over wing.

Building Seamaster Day 7: F1 Former & Mid-Bottom Sheet

Center Bottom Section Installed

On Feb. 28th I continued work on the fuselage and unfortunately didn’t discover an issue that will come to light during an upcoming session.  Perhaps it hadn’t fully presented itself at this time, or perhaps I was just oblivious.  Either way this day was about continuing work on the fuselage.

To reinforce the nose of the aircraft a second F1 former needed to be attached.  This was the first task that required to do some light sanding to remove the laser burn marks and then applying glue to the side edges as well as covering the back surface with glue to ensure all surfaces that will be in contact with wood will have been glued down.  I then clamped this into place for it to dry, seen below.

2nd Former F1 Installed
2nd Former F1 Installed

The other task for the day was getting the middle section of the bottom glued in place, seen in the top piece is oversized.  I still had to make sure I got the sheet in the correct place as there were spots where not much overlap was present no matter the positioning of the piece.  I sanded the front edge of the piece that buts up against the fuselage. There was no need to sand the other edges as no wood would be touching and in the case of the two sides it’ll be sanded down once the glue dries.

To complete the day I got the piece I. Place and traced with a pencil along the fuselage to mark the sheeting, knowing the glue would have to go along the inside of that line. Peter than applied glue on the sheeting while I applied glue along the edges of the fuselage and back of the former the front edge of the sheeting buts up to.

We then clamped the sheeting in place to hold it while it dries. Had to get clever with clamping the former to the front edge of the sheeting as no clamps were long enough. We used a clamp as an intermediary to place our other clamps on.

That wraps up another building evening.