Another great building session took place Saturday February 24th. The first thing, as seen in Fig. 1 and 2 below is that the screw hole for anchoring the engine support post (is what I’m calling it) to the fuselage was drilled. The groove carved into the ‘post’, seen in Fig. 1, Peter had done at another builders place. This groove is where the wires will run down from the engine (i.e. for the throttle servo). While Peter held the support in place I drilled a hole between the two bottom tabs (ensuring I was in about the middle and below the hole where the wires will be routed for the control services via the groove) a bit smaller than the screw being used as this is what will hold the post in place.
Once that was done I glued formers F6 through F10 in place connecting both sides of the aircraft. This was done with Sig Cement and each one was clamped in place to hold everything tight while the sides dried to the formers. All the formers were previously sanded.
The last item for the day was to start shaping the front of the aircraft. The prep work for this was having two pieces of wood with two notches made in them. I then soaked the wood using a spray bottle and carefully bent the two nose pieces inwards and placed the sticks in place, top and bottom, to hold the pieces in place while the water dried.
While waiting for the wood to dry we chatted and then about an hour later sprayed the wood again and move the nose pieces in further. Then cut new notches in the wood to hold the pieces at the new closer position. At this point I had to go home, but Peter repeated this process a couple more times until the two pieces were close enough together such that the F1 former would fit snug at the nose of the aircraft.
Wasn’t concerned about the wrinkle because if necessary can slit it with a knife and glue it smooth. That concluded another building session!
Today I started working with working on connecting the two elevators with with wire. This involved first marking the centre of the edge and then using the plans to line up where the wire needed to be inserted and mark it. Then drilled a whole 1/8th in diameter an inch into the elevator. Then grooved out a line using the drill bit from the whole we made to the inside edge about an eighth of an inch deep and had to groove it down deeper still to make sure the wire is flush and not sticking up past the edge of the elevator. This was repeated on the other elevator as well. Will need to sand the metal piece before gluing into place to securely connect the two elevators.
Once that was done for the night I sanded the edges of the right side of the plane as well as the edges of formers F1-F6. After laying the right side of the plane down on the table, inside up, we placed the formers into their proper locations to ensure they fit and used solid 90 degree objects as weights to ensure they are vertical. The firewall was a bit to big and required some light sanding to make it fit. This is after ensuring their was no excess glue from where we glued the fuselage doubler.
The next step was to glue the formers into place. For this we had to mix yet a different kind of glue. I still don’t have this part memorized. It takes a long time to set making it great for this as creates a stronger bond but also means to ensure we don’t warp/twist the fuselage we can only do one side at a time. Then you let it dry before continuing on. Some people do multiple sides at once and hold it together with elastic bands but I’d rather just take the extra time.
Once glued into place we used clamps to keep the formers in place and vertical against the 90 degree objects. We then rigged it up to place weights on top to ensure the glued areas are firmly pressed together.
This concluded another building session and planning to get in another tomorrow!