Today I got over for another great building session with Peter. Peter kindly had the sheeting for the (tail) stabilizer of my plane glued together. We marked out one side of the sheeting tracing the framework with a pencil to know where the stabilizer framework had to go on the sheeting and then flipped over the framework. I placed glue along the entire surface that was coming in contact with the sheeting while Peter spread it. I then flipped over the framework, placed it on the sheeting, wiggled for good glue disbursement and then temporarily pinned in place while I glued the other side. I removed the pins and placed the other set of sheeting onto the tail. Peter then placed weights to hold everything snuggly together while it dries.
The next step was buidling the fin. Found it on the plans, pinned it in place followed by pinning wax paper over it. The next step was to find the pieces and line them up on the plans followed by gluing and pining. I then measured, cut, and sanded the rectangular ‘centre pieces’, need to remeber what their called and will update, until they fit snuggly but not to tight such that they are pushing out / warping the pieces already glued and pinned.
After completing this phase I had what’s below. The long piece, trailing edge, is not attached yet however the bottom part has been sanded to give the desired angle and will be cut at the top when the time comes.
The last part for the day was to prep the sheeting for the fin. You always want to go oversized to ensure you cover everything and then can (what I imagine and will learn how) cut it down to size. This time Peter and I did it together. Peter tapped the back side using special tape (leaves no residue) and then folded the pieces back so I could run glue down between, top to bottom. Then we layed them down flat, on glass, and wrighted them down while the pieces dry together.
That wrapped up another fun building session! I’m definitely learning little by little.
Update 10/22/2016: I couldn’t remember the name for the ‘centre pieces’, it’s ribs
Yesterday I bought a Sig 4 Star 60 kit off John from our club. I’ve been so excited and nervous about building I wanted to get a start on it ASAP so I called up Peter today, as he’s teaching me, and got over to his place after supper.
We opened the box, seen in the image, and went through everything. Noticed that for the plans we had two 2 of 2 pages and we were missing page 1 of 2 of the plans! Thankfully a quick trip to Johns and he was able to provide us with the missing plan.
I got a start on the tail this evening after an intro into learning how to read the plans which includes how to tell the different tyes of woods and the way the grains are going. The grain direction is important as it provides strength.
They do recommendtwo copies of the plan as then you have one you keep in good condition and another you place on the table for working on. We cover it with wax paper to keep the glue off but still poking pin wholes through it.
I punched out the required pieces and then sanded any edge that will be glued to remove the ‘burn’ marks from the laser cutting and the rough parts from where a piece is punched out.
Once that’s done made sure everything was lining up properly and glued the framework together and pinned to make sure it’s held tight. This didn’t include the 6 pieces for support.
The 6 pieces were done from biggest to smallest (this allows for if you cut to small you can use it for a smaller one). Theirs one piece of wood that’s the appropriate width and then I measured and cut (using a bandsaw) each piece. Before cutting the next I’d sand the end down until their was a snug fit. Don’t want it to big or else it’ll push out the frame and cause warping/twisting of the frame.
Once I got them all fitting together properly going by Peters markings as to where the overlay stopped I placed glue on the surfaces that would be contacting the ‘main’ (top and bottom) pieces.
Throughout this process we’d pin the wood down to the table to ensure everything was snug and flat.
That sums up today’s building process as left the glue to dry. I was uncertain how I’d like building but if today was any indication I’m going to love it as I really enjoyed this build session. I know I just started, so will have to see how good my patience and ability to learn construction skills really are!