Friday Peter & I got some more sheeting done on the top of the wing. The first piece was the curved middle piece sheeting the middle of the wing.
In order to do this we cut a piece of 3/32“, 4″x62”, to make W-SH-2 to go to curve out to between the middle of the ‘enclosing’ ribs. To determine the curve we tried different plastic curve templates Peter brought until we found one which provided a curve to our satisfaction. To aid in this we had marked where the curve should start and end to leave enough hang over for the bottom portion. I then traced it and cut it out with the utility knife.
Wednesday the wing was flipped over and we went through the same process as last time to get the two pieces of sheeting on.
Wednesday we started the process of sheeting the wing. Prior to actually sheeting we went over the whole wing doing some sanding, removing any excess glue gobs, rough edges, etc. making sure everything was finished as best we could. This is to make sure the sheeting sits down properly and eliminate as many covering issues/bumps as we can.
Once that was done we trial fitted how we wanted the first set of balsa sheets (W-SH-1, 3/32 “, 4″x62”) to fit. Based on the diagram (Wing Step 3) the butt joint isn’t in the center, so we used a full sheet for the first part and then will trim the excess (seen in the bottom & top images) from the second sheet.
The steps then went as follows:
Sunday we focused on getting the ailerons glued together. This aircraft has some very nice sized ailerons. 🙂
We needed to figure out how to determine the size of the 1/4” x 1/4” balsa stringers we’d need, and which piece to start with. Ended up temporarily putting in place the WT1 (1/8” Ply) wing end tip piece to measure the length from the trailing edge of the wing to the trailing end of WT1. This gave us the length of the outer edge balsa stringer of the aileron (smaller piece).
Saturday, Feb. 22nd, I cut out the pieces for the aileron. Peter & I then did some looking at the airframe and figuring out what went where… as even though the pieces are labeled you do not actually have any labels in the pictures provided and need to figure out how things go together based on shape alone. We used the top down diagram with the overall measurements.
The leading and trailing edge of both ailerons came in two pieces which we needed to join together using a pre cut scarf joint. They were not cut very precisely and thus we needed to use filler to create a snug fit. We also used my big ruler to ensure while we were pinning things in place the edges were perfectly straight. We used slow epoxy for this job.
You can see how we left things to dry in the image below.
Wednesday we finished prepping the firewall and reinforcing it.
First step was getting two triangle blocks cut close to size as will sand the tops to match the form of the top of the fuselage. We then mixed up a batch of epoxy for the next steps.
Monday, Peter & John came over and we shifted focus to the fuselage, specifically getting the firewall situated. I obtained a user Saito FA-100 for my engine and it came with a metal mount.
Based on the diagrams provided the engine needs to be side mounted with the muffler down, this means the head of the engine is going to protude out past the left side (looking at the pictures below). I haven’t decided if I’m going to build the cowel or not out of balsa block. As nice as that’d potentially look it may cause more grief than not for making engine adjustments and getting in flying time at the field.
I had previously marked the center of the firewall and the lines have since been extended to the ends (seen in the right pic below). John did a fair bit of figuring for how best to mount the engine.
On Feb. 16th we started by cleaning up some previous tasks which involved:
- Cutting off the excess from both ends for the leading edge
- Sanding the ends of the leading edge and all spars to be flush with the side of the outer rib
As a sample you can see how the ends looked afterword in the far right image below.
On February 15th Peter came over and we furthered our progress on the wing. Prior to getting to work we needed to study the ‘instructions’ and looking closely at the diagram, Step 3 of the wing section, I could determine there were shear webs (WJ in the diagram) front and back of the main spar. Since there were indeed 16 WJ pieces this made sense to us.
I proceded by cutting them out of the provided sectioned balsa sheets. I then marked the center on each web as well as the center between each rib on the main spar so we could use these markings to center the webs when gluing.
Yesterday I did a little work on the wing myself. I trimmed off the excess of the remaining spar we glued in the previous session and then did some intial sanding of all the spar ends. The one end can be seen in the picture above.
Today Peter and I glued the leading edge onto the front end of the ribs. Since the leading edge didn’t seem to be properly provided within the kit Peter kindly made it in his shop for me out of 1/4” x 17/8” balsa. This needed a joint in it as well due to the length, a bit oversided on each end as well. Peter scored in the center line, to be used to center it on the leading edge vertically.